It happened again the other day and it drives me crazy! I bet it drives you crazy too. I saw an ad on TV for a company I do business with. I was thrilled to see them advertising but I was annoyed to see that they were offering new customers a special deal for signing up with them. What they were offering was a wonderful package aimed at showing the new customer how grateful they were for the business.
Hey, what about me -the customer that’s been with you through thick and thin all these years? Is there no reward for my dedication and loyalty to your firm?
Why is it that companies reward new customers but forget about the customer they already have? A firm’s greatest profitability lies in repeat business, so why wouldn’t a company reward me for my loyalty? I am baffled by this phenomenon and I know a lot of other customers are too.
Here are some things to consider when it comes to your existing customers:
1. Treat them like gold. It costs less to keep this group engaged with your product or services than it does to find brand new customers. They already know and trust you and probably want to buy from you again. You just have to give them a reason.
2. Find ways to reward existing customers. Quarterly coupons, discounts, free services, and recognition are ways to say thank you to that group of dedicated loyal followers.
3. Mystery shop on a regular basis to ensure that existing as well as new customers are being treated fairly and consistently.
4. Survey your existing customers to give them a chance to give you feedback on your performance as a corporation. Even if you don’t get a high response rate, giving people the forum to contribute their opinions counts.
5. Take a day each week and set aside an hour to make client appreciation calls. Each manager should be responsible for making a certain number of calls each month. You’ll be amazed what you learn from your customers.
What do you do to show your clients/customers/guests/patients/members that you care? Please send us your ideas and comments!
In the meantime, remember to thank your existing customers. They’ll love you for it!