Phones! They drive us crazy! Ever since they were invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876, people have been seeking ways to avoid answering them. Telephones really get a bad rap! People see them as an interruption and intrusion in their lives. Somehow I doubt this was Mr. Bell’s intention.
Add-on inventions for the telephone like caller ID, voice mail, and special ring tones have made it so we never have to pick up a phone again if we don’t want to talk to the party who’s calling. This is especially true in business where many people opt for the ease of dashing off emails, instant messages, or text messages in lieu of getting involved in a phone conversation.
Personally, I think the sound of a ringing phone is the sound of commerce. When the phones in my office get quiet, I get nervous. I love reaching out to my clients by phone for 3 simple reasons:
- It creates an opportunity to see if there are ways we can help make the lives of our customers easier, and let’s be honest, isn’t that why we’re in business?
- It creates the opportunity to connect and strengthen the relationship we have with our customers. Sharing a laugh or something that’s happening in our personal lives makes us feel closer to those we’re serving.
- It gives our customers a chance to be heard.
So before you reach for the nearest keyboard, consider some of these reasons why you should reach for the nearest phone:
- Nobody uses the phone anymore. You’ll be seen as different and unique in your approach.
- Phone conversations allow for greater self expression through the quality, tone, and characteristics of your voice.
- Your customer will have a greater sense that you care.
- And finally, sometimes it’s just easier to call someone than it is to spend the entire day going back and forth via email. Most people talk a whole lot faster than they type, so in some cases, the phone is a more efficient communication tool.
Make it a point to connect more often by phone. It may be considered an antique by some but the telephone still gets the job done.
To deliver the highest possible levels of customer service by using your telephone, consider brushing up on your phone skills. Market Viewpoint’s training team is dedicated to your success and will be happy to design and schedule a telephone skills workshop guaranteed to give your staff the tools they need to deliver the ultimate customer experience with every single call!