What does it take to become a successful mystery shopper? This is a common question asked by new mystery shoppers, as well as those who have been doing it for a while, but want to become more successful. Being a successful mystery shopper requires certain skills that can help you accomplish your tasks more efficiently, obtain more assignments, and earn a higher standing with companies. Any mystery shopper can succeed as long as they make it a point to cultivate these skills:
- Commitment – A secret shopper can only be successful if he or she commits to the task that is assigned. There are certain secret shoppers that continuously accept assignments, but don’t commit to finishing them. Others accept more assignments at one time than they can handle, and they struggle to produce quality results. If you want to have more assignments in the future, stick to every task you are assigned.
- Writing Ability – Mystery shoppers are required to submit reports about their shopping experiences and therefore must learn how to write professionally and objectively. Reports need to be concise, yet complete, with correct grammar and word usage.
- Meeting Deadlines – Time is precious to everyone, and that is why deadlines are set to keep things on track. Companies expect reports to be submitted in a timely manner because they are needed for additional activities, such as product reviews, auditing, and company meetings. It is therefore very important for a good mystery shopper to honor deadlines.
- Detail-Oriented – The ability to follow instructions in detail is essential to being a good mystery shopper. Specific details and instructions are outlined for a reason, even if the mystery shopper isn’t made aware of it, so it’s important to strictly follow instructions. It is also important to provide a detailed report that doesn’t leave out any pertinent information.
- Responsible – Mystery shoppers provide important and sometimes sensitive information to the hiring company, which influences their product or service improvements and decisions concerning their employees. A mystery shopper must therefore be responsible with their observations, objective, and always be accurate, as mistakes could have far-reaching effects.
- Good Communication Skills- Secret shoppers need to stay in regular contact with their mystery shopping company, which requires good communication skills. Likewise, they need to be able to communicate information effectively in their reports.
- Flexibility – For a mystery shopper to maximize his or her effectiveness, he or she must be flexible with any assignments that are received. A willingness to be flexible with time could also result in additional assignments if another mystery shopper fails to accomplish a task and you can fill in.