When was the last time you sat down with your staff and asked them what they wanted out of the New Year? Talked about their goals – personal and professional? I am going to refrain from calling this a discussion about goals. It might scare off too many readers.
As a manager and supervisor, I think having this discussion with those who report to you is one of the most important things you can do at the start of the new business year.
Here is the message having this discussion sends to the employee:
- They matter to you and the organization
- You have a vested interest in their success
- They are valued
Here is what having this discussion does for you and your department or business:
- The employee feels valued and wants to be even more productive for you
- The employee will go the extra mile to deliver service because they know it matters
- The employee will have a greater sense of self-worth and bring that to each customer interaction they have.
Makes taking the time to have this discussion seem worth it, doesn’t it?
Let’s get busy being supportive.
What have you discussed with your employees lately to be supportive? Please comment below.