Many secret shoppers find they can get by with simply reading the instructions of their task, going through their shop visit, and making their report. Although it may sound as simple as that, understanding more about the task at hand will enable you to pull out a more comprehensive excerpt of their company. It will also cut down on time spent on follow up calls and emails later on.
Reading through the task alone without really understanding the essence of it will not help you create a detailed report. There are important factors in a mystery shopping assignment that shoppers need to know too, even if they are not always indicated in the instructions. For instance, learning more about the company before your visit will allow you to better observe the establishment and what your company wants you to report back to them. This will also help you become more objective, especially when it comes to writing your report.
Below are some important factors to know for your mystery shopping assignments:
- Know more about the company for whom you will be shopping. Research the company’s history and any important current events and also search online for feedback from customers. This will help you prepare yourself for what the average customer of the said establishment expects.
- Take note of the specific person to whom the company wants you to report and make contact with them. Just be sure to do so cautiously, so it does not interfere with the assignment.
- Don’t overlook the simple details pointed out in the instructions. If the company wants something specific from you, try your best to give them a more detailed report on that matter. If they want you to ask a specific question to their employees, do it and report back.
- Understand the purpose of the shopping assignment. There are several areas of a business for which companies hire secret shoppers, including customer service and product presentation. Knowing more about the real purpose of the task will allow you to focus more on what is relevant and enable you to spend your shopping time wisely.
- Remember the deadlines and stick to them. Due dates are very important because the results of your shopping task will evaluated by the company and used in a variety of departments and scenarios. If you are late with your report, you could be causing a negative ripple effect. So, stick to the deadline.