In order for a mystery shopper to become more effective and better at what he or she does, it is a good idea to put some habits into place to maintain consistency and professionalism when completing shopping tasks. When mystery shoppers fall short on assignments, it is usually because they lack certain knowledge that is necessary to fine tune their craft. To avoid finding yourself in that situation, here are a few habits you should practice if you want to be a successful mystery shopper…
- Always provide necessary information about yourself that the mystery shopping company requests when you are applying to work with them. It is important that your mystery shopper knows about you, and you should always maintain transparency, especially when it comes to accepting assignments. When you respond to the mystery shopping company, include a digital signature at the bottom of your email that contains your complete name, address, and phone number.
- Always pay attention to the employees involved in your mystery shopping assignment. Make note of their names and appearances because those details may come in handy when doing your report. It is often good to reference the name of an employee, especially when it needs to be noted by the company.
- Pay attention to every detail concerning your shopping assignment. When you receive an assignment, immediately read through it and check to be sure you understand everything instructed in the assignment. Make sure you read through every detail and ask questions as soon as possible. This will make your shopping experience a smooth one because you will have already clarified details ahead of time.
- Be organized from the start. It may sound basic, but the truth is that we can tend to minimize the seriousness and importance of our jobs when we work from home all the time, and we need to stay alert and on task. So, in order to make a good impression and earn credibility as a good mystery shopper, make it a habit to become more organized. This can range from installing a home office desk to making daily to-do lists to setting a schedule for all your assignments.
- Mentally see yourself doing your mystery shopping job before you actually do it. This will give you a dress rehearsal, so to speak, so you can anticipate what might happen during your assignment. Think ahead about what you will need to take notes on while shopping and what you can purchase while you’re there.