When it comes to mystery shopping, in a lot of ways you must prepare yourself as though you were going into battle. A mystery shopper needs to be prepared before taking on the shopping venture. He or she must have the right attitude and state of mind to accomplish their given task. And, a mystery shopper must also equip themselves with the necessary tools and proper strategies to successfully maneuver through whatever situations may arise during their visit.
Here are five easy ways to prepare yourself for your mystery shopping visits:
- Always read the instructions twice before visiting an establishment. It may seem suspicious if you return to a shop multiple times on the same day because you forgot to gather all of the important details on your first visit. Make sure that you already know what you need to do before the visit so you can acquire all necessary information the first time around.
- Have a schedule and stick to it. This is mainly helpful to shoppers who choose to work on more than one task at once. Scheduling your visits, report writing times, and submission deadlines will help you stay on track and deliver to a business everything you’ve promised. In addition, a well-organized schedule will help you allow sufficient time for your shopping visits so you’re not hurrying through anything and skimping on quality.
- If you need to practice, do it. The saying, “Practice makes perfect,” is true, and if you need to practice certain lines when talking to an employee, do so. You can also practice with a friend, so he or she can offer helpful suggestions, so you seem natural, not suspicious.
- Verify your location prior to going there. If the store is in an area you’re not fully familiar with, verify the address to be sure it is accurate, so you don’t waste your time lost and driving around, trying to find it. Call the establishment and confirm the address. In addition, check the hours of operation, so you can maximize your shopping time.
- Be in a good mental condition. Make sure your mind is focused on working on your task and do not become distracted by negative situations or arguments with employees. Also make sure that you can control yourself and be as discreet as possible. Have fun and relax so you can easily accomplish what you need to do in a natural way.