Mystery shopping to the rescue!
When a customer has a question, problem or issue for or with your company, they want a resolution and they want it fast. I am convinced that technology has spoiled us in this regard. It has warped our perception of the word “fast” and has changed the definition of it to mean “immediately” for some consumers.
Think of the instances in which you wait for service:
- On hold on the telephone;
- For an email response from a company’s customer service department;
- In line at cash registers, banks, and restaurants;
- At the customer service desk;
- To connect with the online chat representative;
- For a service technician to arrive at your home;
- To get an appointment with your dentist, doctor, stylist, etc.
- In any waiting room.
This is where mystery shopping comes in.
Businesses need to consider all of the possible situations in their operations where a consumer may be made to wait, then establish a maximum amount of time as the acceptable standard. Testing wait times periodically through the mystery shopping process can help pinpoint where problems may exist.
[tweetthis]The perception that many consumers have is that fast isn’t good enough anymore.[/tweetthis]
Service has to be immediate. Organizations are pushing the envelope when it comes to advertising faster download speeds, same-day delivery or same-day service. They are the bar by which consumers are measuring our level of service.
Competing in this environment involves the following tactics:
- Be aware of what your target customers expect.
- Measure your level of performance using tools such as mystery shopping.
- Modify your operations based on customer expectations and your current performance.
The faster you are able to answer a customer’s question, resolve their problem or address their need, the faster they can get on to the next thing on their to-do list.
Do you have standards for wait times at your business?
We always read and appreciate your thoughtful comments! Please share this post with others who might benefit – we love it when you do!